What is Backend Development?
Back-end Development refers to the server-side development. It focuses on databases, scripting, website architecture. It contains behind-the-scene activities that occur when performing any action on a website. It can be an account login or making a purchase from an online store. Code written by back-end developers helps browsers to communicate with database information.
Work as a Back-end developer needs high stamina. Curiosity, eager to learn, diligent and work hard, love with what we do and tenacious are some characters could help the job is enjoyable. Sometimes there are some tasks are difficult to solve or time availability is so limited makes the work is stressful. The above characters and some soft skills such as good communication, able to work individually or in a team and discipline hopefully can help Back-end developer able to make reliable software
There are three types of web developers:
- And full stack (which combines both)are some of the skills you need to know to be in high demand:
Back-end developers are responsible for building out the “server side” in web applications.
If you want to be a back-end developer, here are some of the skills you need to know to be in high demand:
10 Skills you need to become a backend developer in 2022 :
- Backend Programming Language
- Knowledge of Popular Frameworks
- Knowledge of Web Server
- Database and Cache
- Knowledge of APIs
- Git: Version Control and Version Control Systems
- Knowledge of Operating System
- Problem-solving and Research Oriented
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
1. Backend Programming Language
Python : Python’s versatility has made it a fast-growing programming language. Moreover, the syntax of Python is comparatively easy to understand than other programming languages. The major application of this language is its usage cross-platform, simple web development, shell scripting, and quick automation.
Python has a very simple syntax and comes up with better code readability aspects that subsequently make it easy to learn and use. Several popular Python web frameworks to you can take into consideration are Django, Flask, etc.
The companies that make use of Python : Pinterest, Netflix, Mozilla, Pandora, Uber, Google and Quora.
PHP : PHP, or Hypertext Preprocessor, is one of the most common and usable server-side languages in the development sector, Unlike Python and Java which automates tasks for developers. PHP interprets programming instructions (among other things) to automate routine processes and improve an application’s performance.
What you can do using PHP:
- Collect form data
- Write command line scripting
- Send and receive cookies
- Generate dynamic page content
Companies that use PHP: Facebook, Hootsuite.
Java : Java is a portable, high-performance language used specifically for object-oriented programming. Java has have a good reputation as a multipurpose programming language. Java is used for desktop, web, and android development. Even if you love new technologies, languages, and frameworks, you cannot ignore the importance of Java. There are numerous frameworks available today that are based on Java. Spring framework is the most versatile framework used popularity by developers.
What you can do using Java:
- Mobile App development and Website development
- Database Connectivity
- GUI based programs
Companies that use Java : LinkedIn, Pinterest, Uber etc.
2. Knowledge Of Popular Framework
- Django: Django is a Python-based open-source web framework that allows you to do web development more efficiently and without any hassle. It follows the model view controller (MVC) pattern. Django is considered as one of the best backend web development frameworks. Django provide noticeable feature such as extensibility, rapid development, scalability, security, vast community, open source, naming system and many more. Companies that use Django Framework: Instagram, Mozilla, Pinterest.
- Laravel : Laravel is an open-source PHP web framework for developing Symphony-based web applications that follow the model–view–controller (MVC) architecture. It offers a modular packaging system equipped with a dedicated dependency manager. Laravel is rated as one of the best web frameworks. Laravel provide noticeable feature such as template engine, MVC architecture support, Security.
- Flask : Flask is a Python-based micro web framework that does not require specific libraries and tools. Flask provides support for extensions that can add features in a manner that seems like they are implemented within it. Flask provides noticeable feature such as google app friendly, integrated unit testing aid, Unicode based backend.
- Spring Boot : Spring Framework is an open-source application framework and the Java platform’s inversion of control container. Java applications can utilize the core features of this framework. Users can also use many extensions for creating web apps based on the Java EE platform.
- If your preferred language is Python, you might use Django or Flask as your framework.
- If your preferred language is PHP, you might use Laravel.
- If your preferred language is Java, you might use Spring Boot.
- HTML: HTML is the most fundamental building block of the Internet. It determines the structure of web pages when working in conjunction with the other two languages.
- CSS: This language determines how elements will be rendered on a webpage and standardizes display across all browsers.
4. Knowledge of Web Server
5. Database and Cache:
Knowledge of various DBMS technology is one of the important Backend developer skills.
- MongoDB : MongoDB is a free and open-source document-oriented database that is very much popular among web developers. MongoDB provides you with numerous prominent features such as Ad-hoc queries, Indexing, Replication, Load Balancing, File Storage, Aggregation, Transactions, etc. In addition, the security and data recovery aspects of this particular database are quite better compared to various other database management systems.
- MySQL :MySQL is another open-source relational database management system that is widely used for web-based applications. MySQL provides cross-platform compatibility, strong indexing support, SSL support for secured connections, powerful data encryption and accuracy, built-in replication support, and various other features.
A few common database management systems that are good for backend developers to be familiar with are:
- AWS DynamoDB
All of these tools are used to handle large amounts of data, and they also use cache for individual users’ small data.
6. Knowledge of APIs :
An Application Programming Interface (API) is a tool set that programmers can use in helping them create software. A good API will have clear and concise commands that a programmer can use and reuse, so they don’t have to build everything over again. When you use your phone to order something from Flipkart, for example, you’re actually connecting to Flipkart using an API. APIs play an important role in the creation of server-side architectures, sometimes replacing more complex and complicated programming to allow software to communicate.
7. Git : Version Control and Version Control Systems
Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. It is actively maintained and open-sourced, created by the same founder of the Linux operating system. Backend developer with a working copy of the code can easily access the full history of what changes have been made, making it easy to edit and restore the code. Among any back end developer skills list, Git is one of the most high-performing, flexible, and secure. That’s why knowledge of a version control system like Git is helpful. Through a version control system, you can easily access, edit, and restore code.
8. Knowledge Of Operating system:
There are very little OS knowledge you need to know to enter the world of backend development world. However, to be efficient at debugging, trouble shooting performance regressions and all kinds of wired issues, you will eventually learn to use all kinds of tools to boost your productivity.
9. Problem-solving and Research Oriented
Backend development can be challenging, and that makes it an ideal career path for people who love problem solving. In a lot of ways, you can consider a backend developer to be the problem solver for a website, so curiosity and a passion for fixing problems are important skills to have as you begin.
Backend developer should be research oriented because Knowledge is limitless. Successful Backend developers are always on the lookout for new technological advancements and keep themselves up to date. A good practice for backend developers is Error/Exception handling. Making sure your program works in all conditions is key to a successful implementation.
10. Good communication and interpersonal skills
Good communication skills and interpersonal skills helps in the development of greater understanding and beliefs among individuals, inspiring them to cohere to the concepts and ideals fixed in them by their leader. Sometimes there are some tasks are difficult to solve or time availability is so limited makes the work is stressful. The above characters and some soft skills such as good communication, able to work individually or in a team and discipline hopefully can help Back-end developer able to make reliable software.